Saturday, July 3, 2010

Colorado- Drink lots of water

Drink lots of water. This altitude can be a doozey. The majestic Rockies make dealing with dehydration, headaches, dry skin, nose bleeds, and extreme gas (no joke) a fair trade. I received advice years ago when I attended Colorado LT. The advice was in order to help your body acclimate to the altitude (5,000 feet), drink lots of water – something like your body weight in water. Maybe that’s a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea. Ah, Fort Collins, Colorado. Fort Collins is a college town much like our beloved Blacksburg but bigger and higher. My high school buddy, Katy, did some postgraduate work at CSU and she had a bunch of food suggestions. I’m still singing her praises!!! I’ll share the goods with you in case your travels take you to Fort Collins in the future. 1. Walrus Ice cream – homemade frozen goodness 2. Coopersmith Pub – all beers are made there. Do the bullet sampler, and do not skip the green chili beer 3. Rio Grande – well known margaritas, not the best I’ve ever had but the most potent! There is a 3 per customer limit! 4. Pickle Barrel – didn’t get a chance to go here but apparently good sandwiches 5. Lucille’s- Best. Breakfast. Ever. Beignets and other canjun scrumptions. 6. New Belgium Brewery tasting/ tour- very cool, extremely friendly and awesome staff. Speaking of New Belgium Brewery...Evan and I stopped by to possibly do a tour, and we soon realized that the tours book up 2 weeks in advance. Upon arriving, Evan and I being the cheesy tourists, were taking a picture of the sign when I was in enticed by a groovy 80s tune coming from a red corvette. Just about as soon as I looked up, BAM!, a bicyclist and a car collide. The cyclist pops right up and is ok, but everyone watching was in more shock than the cyclist, partly because his posse was dressed to impress, or something. One of his friends had on tighty whities, only tighty whities. Actually there were some cartoons on this guy’s skivvies (who knew they made those in adult sizes), but I decided not to look to hard to try to figure out what was going on. Shockingly, he was not allowed in the brewery as there were small children and families inside (small children: brewery, I know there is a lot going on in this story). This all happened in about a minute. Gotta love Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment